Friday 13 January 2017

The Lumineers and The Botanic Gardens

Flashback to October/Early November:

The semester rolled on and I had my two in course assessments for veterinary public health and farm animal medicine a week apart from each other.  The weekend in between a friend I went to The Lumineers concert.  It was held at Usher Hall which is a really nice venue for a concert, big enough for an energetic atmosphere but also small enough it still feels fairly intimate.  I had wanted to see the Lumineers on their last tour in Toronto but wasn't able to get tickets.  So when my friend offered me an extra ticket I jumped at the chance.  We had standing tickets and because of some timing confusion (we ended up being super early) we got a really good spot close to the front.  They sounded just as good live as they do on their album.  It was such a good study break!


About 4 rows back from the front!


Once exams were done a friend and I went to the Edinburgh Botanic Gardens for Botanic Lights.  They light up the gardens at night in lots of different ways.  I had seen pictures for the past two years but was never able to time it right to be able to go.  This year it worked out perfectly so I was very excited.  Both my friend and I brought our cameras and tripods with us to try and get some cool pictures.  The weather was beautiful (as in not raining or blowing a gale) but quite chilly (ok so it was just around freezing but for Edinburgh standards that is pretty cold.  I think living here has made me a bit soft when it comes to cold weather!)  The tour was divided into different parts of the world and the decorations in each section reflected what part of the world you were supposed to be in.  We took our time going through looking at all the different displays.  It was really fun but after a couple hours touring around we were definitely ready to head home to warm up.



Lighted path with some ghostly figures

String of Prayer Flags - Common in Nepal, Bhutan and Tibet
It is believed the wind will pick up the prayers written on the flags and
blow the prayers far and wide.

The arctic

The hedge - 8m tall and 212m long!

Palm House

No comments:

Post a Comment