Tuesday 2 May 2017

A mini roadtrip and finished lectures FOREVER!

Well sorry for another blogging break.  I was writing exams and there was a lot of studying going on.  So here is what happened since the last blog and now.  It is probably going to have to fit into a couple posts.

Now that I have a car I want to make use of it and go some places I wouldn't have normally gone.  So the weekend after I got the car  a friend and I decided to have a mini road trip to England.  We went to Berwick-Upon Tweed which is a few miles south of the Scottish border.  In true British history, the Scots and the English fought for possession of the city with England finally gaining and maintaing control in the 1400s.  The town is surrounded by medieval walls.

View along the town walls

Berwick Parish Church

Bridge over the River Tweed

The following weekend a friend and I went out to the Pentland Hills for another hike.  We spent a couple hours climbing two hills.  Part of the one hill is cordoned off and is used by the british military for target practice.  As we started climbing we could hear gun shots going off in the distance which is sort of an unsettling feeling!  But the climb was worth the view we got.


View from the top


View of the city, Salisbury Crags and Arthur's Seat


Then it came up to be the final day of lectures.  While I am still in classes until the end of May the last official lecture with new material was the 27th of February.  It has become a tradition for the last lecture to wear onesies, with a strong showing of animal onesies.  So we celebrated in style in our lecture on equine farriery.  I am officially done lectures forever (at least in a formal university setting).  After being in university for seven years I am really looking forward to all that hard work paying off in clinics next year.

I'm dressed as a giraffe.  Can you find me?
Then it was onto exams.  I had two written exams and three OSPRE exams.  The OSPRE exams were to do a clinical exam of a cow, sheep and rabbit with an examiner watching you and report your clinical findings to the examiner.  Cow and rabbit I felt very comfortable with as soon as I was finished.  Sheep I thought I had really gone awry but after getting my marks back I was clearly wrong.  I did super well on all three and I could not have been happier.

As soon as exams finished I had four weeks off during Easter.  I started with two weeks of EMS placements.  I decided to stay at the school and do a week of small animal ICU and a week of large animal (pretty much just horses) ICU.  There was not too much sleep those two weeks.  In both weeks I got to see lots of really interesting cases.  Small animal was quite hectic at times.  One evening we admitted five cases after hours.  As a student you are often sent in to take the history from the owners while the patient is being triaged.  So I got lots of practice taking histories.  But mainly what small animal ICU taught me was how much I have forgotten of cat and dog from last year!  Will definitely have to brush up before I have my ICU rotation in June.  Large animal ICU one of the exciting bits (although somewhat stressful to watch) was getting to see them place a tracheostomy tube in a horse that was having difficulty breathing.  I did enjoy my time on large animal ICU but I do think small animal is still where I would rather be.

After I finished my ICU placements a friend that I met in my first year at the University of Guelph came to visit.  And I think I will leave our adventures for the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment