Sunday 27 March 2016

Back in the Homeland for Easter

It's Easter!  Which means I have four weeks off from school.  Last Easter on my break I went lambing.  This Easter I decided to come home and do 3 weeks of clinical EMS placements.

I flew home last Saturday after an exam on Friday.  I brought my camera home because I wanted to try and see if my new learned techniques from my photo tour would help me get some nice pictures at home.  So as always, my dogs were my models.


Finally a picture of Mars with his eyes open!


They stopped mid play to look at me - notice the wild hair from rolling in the grass!

Sunday I drove to the Ottawa area with my mom.  We stopped in at my Grandma's for dinner.  I then carried on and left my mom there so she could spend the week visiting.  I headed over to a cousin's place where I am staying for three weeks while I complete my placements.

For the first week of placements I worked in the small animal hospital.  The week started off quite exciting getting to see a caesarian section on a cat.  As the week continued on I got to see a lot of really interesting cases including a foreign body removal, a couple hit by car cases and lots of different x-rays (one of which I successfully positioned and imaged myself).  They let me do quite a lot of hands on stuff as well including TPRs (Temperature, Pulse [heart rate] and respiration rate) on anesthetized animals, put in a couple catheters, take blood samples, 1.5 cat neuters and most excitingly scrub in and be an extra set of hands for the foreign body exploratory surgery.  

Since it is now officially spring I didn't think about the fact it might snow and didn't really bring any winter gear except for a pair of mittens with me.  Well that was pretty silly because Wednesday morning we woke up to quite a nice layer of snow!  Although it has pretty much all melted now.

My Wednesday morning greeting

For Good Friday and Easter Sunday I spent the time with my Grandma, my mom and my dad who drove up for the weekend.  It was nice to catch up with everyone.  I also went around and took some pictures of the barns and house at my Grandma's today because the weather was beautiful.




Monday morning I start my large animal placement for two weeks.  I get to start bright and early with a big dairy herd health visit.  So I am off to review my cow reproduction notes from last year so that I hopefully have some clue what's going on!

No comments:

Post a Comment