Sunday 7 June 2015

I had no idea what they were saying

With nothing I had to do this last week I did a bit more exploring around town.

I went to Dean Village and walked along the water of Leith with a friend.  Dean Village is just a few minutes walk from downtown but it is a whole different world.  The village used to be the centre of water mills and the buildings that are there still reflect that today.



The water of Leith


Then Wednesday two of my classmates and I went to Stirling for the day.  As part of our Husbandry Extra-Mural Studies, we had to attend a livestock market.  So we went to United Auctions in Stirling.  It was quite an experience!  We watched both cattle and sheep sales.  I have been to an auction in Canada before. I had trouble understanding the auctioneer there because they talked so fast.  Well add a Scottish accent into the mix and it was pretty much hopeless.  I could usually understand the final price that the animal would sell for, but anything said before that, I usually had no idea what they were saying.

Once we had finished at the market we toured around Stirling for the afternoon.  We visited a sweet shop that was unbelievable.  I have never seen so many different types of chocolate and fudge.  So naturally I had to try some.  

Clotted Cream Fudge, Irish Cream Fudge and Bailey's Creme Brûlée Chocolate


We then walked around and looked at Stirling Castle and the Church of Holy Rude.  


Wallace Monument (The same Wallace that the movie Braveheart is about)

Stirling Castle
Stirling Castle
The Church of Holy Rude

The Church of Holy Rude


Finally as we were leaving we spotted a milkshake shop.  They advertised 150 different flavours.  There were so many choices!  I settled on a double decker milkshake.  (Double decker if s british chocolate bar that I can best describe as a cross of mars and twix bars).


Now I am off on an adventure.  I am currently in the Edinburgh Airport waiting to board my flight to Jersey.  I am going to spend a week doing a placement at a jersey cow dairy farm.  I am really looking forward to the experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment