Monday 4 May 2015

The End is in Sight!

After coming back from lambing I had a week off to study for my AHWFS (Animal, Health, Welfare and Food Safety) five practical handling exams and written exam.

The first Monday of the exams I had my cattle handling.  This involved some rope work with the cow and identifying some breeds.  In the afternoon I had my sheep exam which involved some handling, some sheep husbandry questions and identifying different feeds.  The next day I went to the dog and cat home for my dog handling exam.  And then Wednesday first thing I had my exotics exam which involved holding a tortoise and rabbit (I didn't have to hold the snake!!) and discussing some of their husbandry needs.  And about an hour later I had my horse exam.
Waiting for my dog exam outside the dog and cat home

A much need study break hike up Salisbury Crags

Then it was a day off to cram some more information into my head before the written exam on Friday.

With exams done, on the weekend, a friend and I decided to do some more Edinburgh exploring and discovered Duddingston Loch and Dr. Neils Garden.




Canadian Geese are just as mean in Scotland as at home!


At the beginning of last week we got our handling exam results back.  And... completely unexpectedly exotics was my best exam followed by horses.  Never ever would I have guessed that!  

We are onto our last Animal Body unit.  This is an integration unit that involves some anatomy and problem sets.  Last week we got to ultrasound a leg of a horse to look at the tendons.  I really enjoyed the more practical aspect of that anatomy session.

The schedule is so light that I honestly don't know what to do with myself.  I guess some more exploring is in order!  

Only 3 more weeks of classes and then exams.

No comments:

Post a Comment